Action: WDFW is offering longer clam seasons at four public beaches and reducing the season at a fifth beach.
Effective Dates: Jan. 1, 2017, until further notice.
Species affected: All clams.
Locations: Fort Flagler State Park (Jefferson County), Freeland County Park (Island County), Point Whitney Tidelands (Jefferson County), Sequim Bay State Park (Clallam County), and West Penn Cove (Island County).
Reason for action: Clam populations at Fort Flagler State Park, Freeland County Park, Point Whitney Tidelands, and Sequim Bay State Park, will support longer seasons than those offered in 2016.
Based on recent analysis of native clam populations and projected effort and harvest, West Penn Cove, will be closed for clam harvest through May 31, 2017, and will re-open June 1, 2017.
Other information: The following are the proposed openings and closings for the identified beaches:
- Fort Flagler: Open Jan. 1 through April 15, 2017 and July 1 through Dec. 31, 2017.
- Freeland County Park: Open Jan. 1 through May 15, 2017.
- Point Whitney Tidelands: Open Jan. 1 through March 31, 2017.
- Sequim Bay State Park: Open Jan. 1 through June 30, 2017.
- West Penn Cove: Open June 1 through Dec. 31, 2017. (This beach is closed Jan. 1 through May 31, 2017).
Information Contact: Philippa Kohn, WDFW Port Townsend Office, (360) 302-3030, ext. 302